Magnet Safety Guide


Global Diving Magnets Ltd does not accept responsibility for any damage or impairment caused by the improper use and handling of a supplied magnet. Magnets are highly magnetic and hold a vast amount of magnetic power; if mishandled or used incorrectly, they can be very dangerous. When using these magnets, ensure that you have read and understood the provided guidance and warnings.  

Neodymium magnets are incredibly strong and can pose potential hazards if mishandled or used improperly. Here are some safety instructions to keep in mind when handling neodymium magnets:  

Keep Away from Children - Neodymium magnets should be kept out of reach of children. Swallowing or ingesting these magnets can cause serious injuries or be life-threatening. 

Avoid Contact with Electronic Devices - Neodymium magnets can interfere with the functioning of electronic devices such as pacemakers, credit cards, laptops, mobile phones, computer hard drives, and monitors. Keep them away from these devices to prevent any damage. 

Wear PPE - Neodymium magnets are brittle and can easily chip or break. When handling large or powerful magnets, it is advisable to wear PPE to prevent pinching or trapping fingers between magnets. 

Keep a Safe Distance - Neodymium magnets are known for their strong magnetic fields. Keep a safe distance between magnets and sensitive equipment such as watches, compasses, magnetic media, or other magnets to prevent unintended magnetisation or damage. 

Avoid Sudden Release or Collision - Neodymium magnets have a powerful attraction force. When two magnets snap together, they can collide with significant force, potentially causing them to shatter or break. Always handle magnets with caution to avoid injury. 

Store Properly - Neodymium magnets should be stored in a secure location, away from metal objects or surfaces that could be attracted to the magnet. Additionally, store magnets in a manner that prevents them from unintentionally attracting or sticking to each other. 

Salt Water Use – After using Neodymium magnets in salt water, ensure that you rinse them thoroughly in fresh, clean water. This will help to extend the life of the magnet. When storing the magnet, make sure that it has been dried and stored in a secure location. 

Do Not Heat Excessively - Neodymium magnets can lose their magnetic properties if exposed to high temperatures (above 176°F or 80°C). Avoid subjecting them to excessive heat, as it can lead to demagnetisation or even cause them to catch fire. 

Use Appropriate Tools - When separating or handling strong neodymium magnets, it is recommended to use non-ferrous tools such as plastic, wooden, or non-magnetic materials. Metal tools or objects can be strongly attracted to the magnets, leading to potential accidents or injuries. 

Pinch and Crush Hazard - Neodymium magnets are very powerful and can exert strong forces when attracted to each other or metal objects. They can pinch or crush body parts, leading to injuries and, in some cases, death. Use with caution when handling these magnets, especially when allowing them to snap together, as they can break or shatter if handled carelessly.  

Travel - We advise you don’t travel with your magnet. Magnets are NOT allowed on aeroplanes. 

Rigging and Lifting – Neodymium magnets should NOT be used to pull, lift or hang any item off. Neodymium magnets are NOT certified for lifting.  

Delamination – Do NOT remove the coating from the magnet; this will cause oxidation and demagnetisation.  

Damage - Do NOT use the magnet if it has been dropped, it is starting to delaminate or if it is showing any signs of corrosion (potentially from use in seawater).  

This safety guide and instructions are general guidelines. It’s important to follow any specific instructions that have been provided by the manufacturer of the neodymium magnets that you are using. 

If you have any further questions regarding the safe use of diving magnets, please get in touch with our team at